Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Like an Old Friend

I have been reading the Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All  since October.  It is about 600 pages long, so for me that was a pretty quick read of it.  I was a little weary of it at first and then I got the Kindle after my birthday and knew I would never finish it if I didn't buy it for the Kindle, so I did and I just finished the book yesterday.  It was amazing; incredibly boring in some parts and intensely riveting in others.  It really was like listening to an old person's memories of their lives, and once I got into the rhythm of it I knew if I stuck it out through the ramblings there would be an incredible gem waiting around the corner.  My favorite, and saddest part, of the book (and I won't give too much away in case you want to read it) is the part about duck hunting and the extent to which ducks will go in order not to be caught, even after they are shot.  I am not doing the book justice here, but wow, it was vividly disturbing and incredibly moving at the same time.

Anyway, I usually hate the endings of most books, even books I adore.  And I was convinced that I would hate the ending to this book as well, because really, how do you end a 600 page book.  But he did, and he did it well!  So, now it is over and I am missing the book already.  If it wasn't so long, I would almost want to start it over again.

No comments: