Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Setback

Thing #1 has been consistently progressing with his speech.  In fact, I think I have already mentioned, that we are beginning to scale back his appointments for the summer to give him a break before preschool.  Well, on monday we had a setback.

He had an appointment with his OT, whom I absolutely love and give credit for much of Thing #1's progress.  He had an afternoon appointment which should have been no problem since he is napping so sporadically these days.  Unfortunately, he was adamant about reading books instead of sleeping even though I knew he was very tired.  His stubbornness finally caved in when he fell asleep about 10 minutes before the end of quiet time, which was also about 45 minutes before we needed to leave for his appointment.

As you can imagine, it did not go well when I brought a very sleepy Thing #1 to his appointment and tried to leave.  In fact, the screaming, crying and clinging on to me for dear life was worse than the very first time I left him.  It was so hard, in fact, that I did not leave the building choosing, instead, to wait for the cries to stop and the laughter to begin.  And it did, very quickly.

But, the episode has left his OT and I to reconsider the theory of giving him a break before preschool and instead possibly overlapping his OT with preschool so that he is still used to leaving me.  That, and the fact that he loves to play with all sorts of stuff he refuses to do at home.  Apparently, her playdough is vastly superior to ours.

1 comment:

phoebe said...

I've seen her playdough, it is pretty good. :) Still the amount that thing #1 chats your ear off now is amazing!