Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Bippy Reality

Okay, so life has not been as blissful as I was led to believe since Thing #1 gave up his bippy.  In fact, after the first day, it has taken him about 45 minutes each naptime to fall asleep, including many, many, many trips upstairs to help settle him.  Yesterday was the first day that he fell asleep with no problems.  So, I thought all was good, until today.  He cried for about 15 minutes as we were getting ready for naps and then cried about 15 more minutes.  I was just about to go upstairs, knowing that it would only make matters worse but what else is there to do when he is so upset?  Anyway, just as I was about to head upstairs, all went quiet and he went to sleep.  Poor kid.  He was exhausted.

This is a hard one for me because I was not adamant about the need to say goodbye to the bippy.  In fact, The Husband was the one who pushed this.  Rationally, I get it.  I think almost 3 1/2 years with a bippy is long enough but on the other hand, how do you soothe yourself if you have never had anything else?  So, it has been hard to stick with this rule, but I have, and so far it seems to be working....two steps forward and one step back.

2 comments:

phoebe said...

ugh, I feel for you. I too thought this was a tough time. Otto still asks about his nuk which kind of breaks my heart, but I really do think this is for the best.
Who knew having a kid would mean being in charge of so many tough questions??

East Coast-er Momma said...

Yeah, Roma is totally, completely attached at the lips to her bink. When Cylas was about her age, 18mo, I started limiting the binky to only nap times...it just went from there. It'll get easier.