There are four of us who have children that will be going to preschool together and a couple of the moms had this brilliant idea of doing an informal playschool with our kids to get them ready. Every week the four (and sometimes Mette!) get together to play and do crafts. The best part of this is that two of the moms stay and two of the moms leave, and we switch on and off. So Thing #1 gets to play with his friends every week and every other week he gets to learn how to play with them without me around. This is glorious on so many levels!
Last week was the first week. Rachel and I stayed with the kids and it was a lot of fun. It was great to interact with the other kids and it was fun to see Thing #1 (occasionally) play with them too. But, this week was even better. I left Thing #1 in the care of Phoebe and Belinda, and while he whined for a little bit, he supposedly got over me very quickly. I went to pick him up and I was filled with glee upon hearing the stories of how well behaved he was, and even better, how many words he said! Apparently, Thing #1 has been holding back with the Husband and me because he said things like "butterfly", "elephant", and "whale". Now Thing #1 has said butterfly before but it comes out like huhu-eye. Not today! Phoebe said it was definitely b-b-butterly, clear as day. As for the rest, I have never heard him say elephant or whale. Next time he is going to come home saying encyclopedia!
Meanwhile, I had a glorious two hours of Thing #2 sleeping and me getting ahead of myself with my class, which has been unheard of since August. After lunch, I swear we were all in better moods. Thing #2 clearly missed Thing #1 (and maybe a little bit in reverse) and Thing #1 and I had some mutual admiration going on which has been scarce these last few weeks. As I said, Playschool rocks! I really am lucky to have such a great group of friends...for myself and for my kids.
1 comment:
we can totally work on encyclopedia!
Post a Comment