Both Things have ear infections. It sounds bad, but frankly, I was pretty happy leaving the doctor's office because it meant that at least I could do something to help with their coughs, colds, and general fussiness. Thing #2 absolutely hates amoxicillin while Thing #1 would drink it all day long if I let him. Anyway, I squeezed in a full day's dose so hopefully by tomorrow things will pick up around here. Just in time for Thing #1's birthday!
As far as my class, we have moved on to brighter topics...like the Salem Witch Trials. I say brighter, because at least only 20 people were killed during this episode, as opposed to the millions of Indians and Africans that were killed during our previous studies.
The Salem Witch Trials are such an odd thing to cover in my class because no one to this day really understands exactly what happened. It really is a history mystery. Did the girls accuse their neighbors because of power or land, or did they really believe they were being bewitched?
We probably won't ever know, but there are a few things that are certain. They turned the incredibly strict and hierarchical Puritan world upside down for a few months. Young girls from meager families became famous through their accusations. In a misogynist culture, they took advantage of their unique position in order to find a reprieve from the family and community hierarchy that they operated under. This is a community that believed that God had only one way and any deviation from this was unacceptable. Not only did they deviate from this structure, they blamed the Devil (and therefore, allied themselves with God) in order to be successful. Quite ingenious if you ask me. A little twisted, and very tragic, but ingenious nonetheless.
No comments:
Post a Comment