Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

It all started with a Dr. Pepper....

Technology is not all that it is cracked up to be. Now don't get me wrong. I definitely don't miss asbestos or lead paint, and I kind of like penicillin. But I was thinking about how most of the chemicals and plastics that are in our everyday life simply did not exist before the 1940s. And now, I look around me and they are everywhere. That can't be good. Not for my body and not for our garbage dumps.

I was in Target right before Christmas where I picked up an old fashioned Dr. Pepper. It is marketed to look like it is from the 1950s or something. Anyway, I tasted it and it was wonderful. Then I looked at the ingredients, and it was basically sugar, flavoring, carbonated water and caffeine. None of this high fructose corn syrup, benzoate #5, and all the other crap that comes in our drinks these days. I don't care if they are benign or not. This Dr. Pepper was proof enough to me that our society is out of control.

That got me thinking about other stuff like toothpaste and soap. So after doing some quick research on the web, I found that soap is a lot more involved, and a little more dangerous, than what I wanted to take on. But toothpaste, now that was easy. Then a friend of mine made her own lotion and I used it for Thing #2's persistent cradle cap. After two applications his skin was looking much better. So that got me thinking some more and here are the results. I am going to wax my own eyebrows with organic hemp and sugar wax, and I am going to make my own shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, and body wash. There are three reasons for all of this:

1. I am tired of not knowing how anything works or where it comes from.
2. I am cheap and this will save me a ton of money.
3. I am starting to feel suffocated by all the garbage that surrounds our lives.

So wish me luck on my new adventure and it is alright if you feel a little sorry for The Husband who really hasn't had much say in all of this. I will keep you posted on my progress!

No comments: