Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Another Parenting Debacle

Thing #2 runs our house.  No joke.  His moods decide the mood of the house, and they definitely impact Thing #1's behavior, as he is always very concerned about what Thing #2 is always doing.  The latest in the long line of failures on my part (see the whole milk debacle) is the bippy debacle.  Thing #2 uses a Nuk, which Thing #1 never used so I am not quite used to the different sizes.  But at 18 months, the Nuk has a new size.  I have looked everywhere for this size and cannot find it, so I found them online.  In order to get free shipping, I bought a lot at once.  I figured it was safe because Thing #2 is a little addicted to his bippy so I thought, at the very least, I would stash a few away for later months.  I was very proud of myself about all of this planning, economizing, and foresight.  That is, until I gave Thing #2 his new bippy.  He tried it a couple of times, putting it in his mouth, swishing it around, and then pulling it out to look at it.  He promptly decided that he did not, in fact, need new bippies that were more appropriate to his size.  Instead, he went right on sucking the old ones that make him look like he is kissing them because they are getting so small for his mouth.  The Husband thought that this would be a good time to press the issue, because in his mind, Thing #2 might actually give up the bippies.  But, I knew better.  So, Thing #2 is fast sleep with several little bippies in his mouth, his hands, and strategically placed around the crib.  Rationally, I know this is not the best parenting strategy I have used, but frankly, I really want my sleep this week.

So, that was my parenting debacle for this week.  That and losing Thing #2 today at playschool.  Perhaps I should save that story for another day.

No comments: