Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Woods, Clouds and Ticks, Oh My!

Yesterday, the Husband came up with the brilliant idea of taking the kids for a walk in the woods.  It was a glorious 75 degrees outside so after convincing Thing #1 that he had all winter to play inside and now it was time to venture out, we went for a glorious walk in the woods.  Both kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves.  There was a lot of exploring of sticks and leaves.  There was a lot of staring up into the sky and thinking about clouds.  And Thing #1 wanted to know why he could not see Ireland from where he was.  It was great.  Thing #1 was so thoroughly exhausted that he fell asleep in the car on the way home.

We had a late dinner, followed by a bath for Thing #2 because, well why not?  It is one of his favorite things to do.  Both kids were sound asleep by 7:30 and did not stir again until 7:00 this morning.  And, instead of going to my work-out class, I chose the entirely decadent and lazy option of sleeping until 9:00!  It was upon my venturing downstairs that I found a tick had made itself at home in Thing #2's neck.

My maternal instincts quickly suppressed my more juvenile ones of being entirely grossed out, at least for a little while, because we were both dressed and at the ER within 20 minutes.  It took a while but the doctor took the tick out, addressed the wound and then gave me a thorough speech about all of the possible things that could happen as a result of a tick bite, at which point she calmly recommended not treating with anti-biotics since the tick was on him for less than 18 hours.  So, while we think that Thing #2 is going to be fine, I would highly suggest that you not look up ticks and lyme disease on the the internet.  I am pretty certain that the Husband has been secretly hyperventilating all day as a result.

1 comment:

Emily Haussmann said...

I have the completely opposite problem, my husband doesn't panic over hardly anything. When I panicked about Mae's 104.5 fever he reminded me brain damage doesn't start until 106!