Okay, I know that goes without saying but after Thing #2 crying, or rather screaming, for 2 1/2 hours the other night and a brief (and, in retrospect, silly) visit to the ER last night for Thing #1, I am pretty much done in. On top of that, The Husband and I are trying to figure out the best approach to helping Thing #1's speech. As most of you know, he has been working with a speech therapist for about 6 months and while she is pleased (as are we) with his progress, she also agrees with us that he needs more help.
It became all the more evident over Christmas when my family had a really hard time understanding him and I had to translate pretty much everything he said. It also was more heart wrenching for me because I saw my shy, little son turn into this gregarious, babbling, dancing, running-around-naked toddler but he was unable to have his own interactions with others because they can't understand him. So, it was awesome and sad at the same time.
We are now in a quandry because we want to make sure he gets all the help needs but we live in the middle of nowhere. The best resource we have here has a 6-8 month waiting list and the next best thing is driving an hour away. That just seems excessive...and exhausting. It looks like we will continue to utilize our local resources and just have faith that our kid will figure it all out by the time he really needs to. In the meantime, I am going to focus on Nanapapa go daddamommy's (blowing out candles sound) mommy, daddy, baby, yay!
*Translation: Nana and Papa are coming to our house for Thing #1's birthday and we will all sing Happy Birthday to him.
3 comments:
In two years you and I are going to clink celebratory glasses of champagne that everything turned out great and that it's all behind us.
You are optimistic! Why only two years? I was thinking more like 20!
20 years! I'm supposed to be the pessimist in this relationship!
Post a Comment