I don't remember who said what to who, of course. But I do know that, despite a small break (long story, but we both thought that the other one was mad so neither one of us spoke to each other) we have been good friends ever since. We drove the same car, we played Barbies together for a long time -- perhaps too long -- and I would have sacrificed my own siblings if I could have had her as my sister. Essentially, she is like a sister to me. We are off to Florida this weekend to celebrate and I am pretty excited. Happy Anniversary Shan!
Monday, October 11, 2010
An Anniversary to Celebrate
A lot of people have childhood sweethearts. I don't but I do have a childhood friend, and we are celebrating our 25th anniversary. I can't believe it. We met 25 years ago this summer/fall. For those of you who know me, you know my memory -- both long term and short term -- is non-existent. I would like to blame it on excessive use of mind-altering substances, but I can't. I have some theories but anyway, I have no recollection of the most basic facts of my life. It can be pretty liberating but it can also be pretty frustrating, for me and for those who know me. Anyway, despite all of this, I clearly remember what happened 25 years ago, when the new family moved into the house that was diagonally across the street from me. I remember finding out that there was a girl my age and then I remember seeing her ride her bike up and down our street. I really wanted to talk to her but didn't know what to say. (I know, Jenn! But I was an adult living in a neighborhood of 90 year olds when you moved in. I had no choice but to start talking to you, despite the edginess factor making me very nervous.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is a such a sweet post. 25 years is pretty amazing, especially since it's so hard to stay in touch these days once you move away and life happens. Definitely something to celebrate. Have fun you guys!
And edginess factor? What's that?
Don't worry! It's a compliment.
Post a Comment